Transitioning from Non-Profit Residency to Work Authorization

Table of Contents

This article may be of interest to those who currently hold a residence permit that does not entitle them to work and want to apply for a residence and work permit. First of all, it should be noted that not all modifications are governed by the same rules. For more information on this subject, it is advisable to consult articles 199 and following of the Reglamento de Extranjería. Below we will explain the most important elements for modifying a permit that does not allow you to work to a permit that does allow you to work.

Requirements for changing the non-profit authorisation to a work authorisation

According to Article 200 of the Reglamento de Extranjería, as a general rule, in order to change from residence to residence and work status, it is necessary to have previously resided in Spain for at least one year. An exception to this general rule will only be made if the applicant proves that he/she needs to work due to unforeseen circumstances in order to guarantee his/her subsistence.


Welcome to NODISEA Blog, where expertise meets diversity. We are seasoned immigration lawyers based in Spain, fluent in English, Spanish, German, and Arabic. Let us guide you through the intricacies of Spanish immigration law.


Reach Out to Us for Answers and Guidance!

Confused about your immigration process?

Book a video call with our experienced lawyer now!

Open Chat
¡Hello! Welcome to NODISEA Immigration Lawyers 👋
Chat with us on WhatsApp for quick answers and personalized guidance!